Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Pipelayers: Jobs, Career, Salary and Education Information
What Pipelayers Do
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints. Excludes Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers.
- 2014 employment: 45,700
- May 2015 median annual wage: $37,780
Job Outlook for Pipelayers
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: 5,200
- Growth rate: 11 percent (Faster than average)
How to Become a Pipelayer
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.